Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Signs Of Spring And A Little Break


After many days of gray, we have enjoyed blue skies today and if the weather forecasters are correct, we may see a few more. Our yard is showing signs of spring too. 

Friends who know us well know I love daffodils and tulips. Friend Ruthie brought these a few days ago 

Then I found these at Fred Myers

They sure brighten up our living room.
Saturday Joe's cousin Elaine and her husband Bill, came to visit us and they brought us the most wonderful "care package" and a beautiful bouquet of these tulips. The care package included favorites of both of us like Gherkins baby sweet pickles, pickled beets, salted peanuts in the shell, almonds, mini York mints and Ghirardelli Chocolate Mints 
Grand daughter Kim came to visit Sunday. It was her 27th birthday. It doesn't seem possible. Hope this year is the best ever for you sweetie.
And of course when mom comes to visit Princess Emily is sure to come along unless she is in school. She was coloring in a coloring book I gave her AND was reading the captions under the pictures.  This little gal is only in kindergarten. She excels in everything at school.



We had breakfast at Shari's Restaurant in Milwaukie after my Eye Dr. appoint recently. We like this restaurant for more than one reason.  First it was the first place we went after Joe and I met. The other reason is the Canadian Geese and a variety of ducks we can watch while we are eating there.



Now for an update on Joe. Here he is enjoying the sun we haven't seen much of in a few weeks. He has lost 31 lbs, but I am happy to report he has gained two of those back so far. He has finished six chemo sessions and has four to go.  His last chemo was  March 2nd. His mouth was getting so sore from the chemicals it was to painful to eat or drink.  After talking to his Dr. and nurses it was decided to skip a session and give him a few weeks to let his mouth heal and regain some strength. Each session is getting more difficult and takes longer for him to bounce back. 

I am thrilled to report that he is eating much better and enjoying the taste. It's still not back to normal ( and won't be til about a month after the chemo sessions are done) but the metal taste isn't quite so bad and he can tolerate the cold milk or juice better. Today he felt like working in the nice weather. He did take a couple of naps while watching the tennis tournament in Indian Wells where he has volunteered in the past.

The red leaves on our Lace Leaf Maple are pushing so hard they are  just about to burst.

We are going to have another  bumper crop of blueberries this year. These are for Joe to just enjoy picking, washing them off and eating them. What he doesn't eat, I freeze.

It is hard to see with the blue sky and white clouds, but this is one of two of our pink dogwood trees and the buds are there. I love these trees.

Our Azalea hedges didn't do too well this winter but the flowers are blooming if you click on the picture. Soon they will be fire red. The only thing we can think of as a reason for the yellow is too much rain coming down the drain pipe and soaking them. 

Even the Clematis is starting to climb up the trellis.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So what is ahead for us you might be asking. Joe has his next chemo on the 23rd, followed by Rehydration IV's on Friday, Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. As I said earlier, he doesn't hardly get to feeling better now and it's time for another session. Yes, we have had our days of depression and sharp words. And those are mainly because I was so frustrated that he wasn't eating or drinking much of anything and loosing a pound a day and him not wanting to hear my suggesting that he try to eat and drink more.  But we also know when we are hugging we aren't hurting. So we hug and hold each other a lot. A hymn we grew up pretty much describes how we are dealing with our lives right now.


I don't know about tomorrow
I just live from day to day
I don't borrow from its sunshine
For its skies may turn to gray
I don't worry o'er the future
For I know what Jesus said
And today I'll walk beside Him
For He knows what is ahead

Chorus:
Many things about tomorrow
I don't seem to understand
But I know who holds tomorrow
And I know who holds my hand

I don't know about tomorrow
It may bring me poverty
But the one who feeds the sparrow
Is the one who stands by me
And the path that be my portion
May be through the flame or flood
But His presence goes before me
And I'm covered with His blood.

~~~~~~~
I haven't felt much like blogging lately but there are some fun things happening this weekend so I will blog again sometime next week.
~~~~~~~ For those of you who follow Retired Rod's Blog  Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. He is having surgery on Monday for brain tumor.


No comments:

Post a Comment