Friday, December 25, 2015

The Story of Two Lighthouses


Please click on the picture to enlarge
A few weeks ago, I posted on Facebook that I was looking for a picture of a lighthouse and I described it the best I could. Many, many years ago a picture like that hung over my fireplace. When I married Joe, and we were busy combining two households into one, I gave many things away, one of which was that picture. Within a few hours my niece was texting me. She said she thought about that picture as soon as I told her about Joe's diagnosis.  She soon found it in the form of a poster and mailed it to me with this message....."I love you Auntie. It had to be me to get it for you. I remember it so vividly above your fireplace."
Underneath the picture is the word COURAGE and the following inscription below that says We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face. 

I found the perfect frame for it, the same wood as our fireplace, at 50% off...I just can't pass up a sale like that. So now my lighthouse is back above our fireplace.
Thank you Denise and Joe

This is the story of the second lighthouse. Joe's cousin, her husband and daughter and close friend came to bring us a Christmas gift. The gift was a picture of a lighthouse but it's not just any light house. This is a picture of the Tillamook Rock Lighthouse .This is the story I told Cindy. I know this lighthouse! I have lived in Astoria, Bay City, Tillamook and Hebo all along the Oregon Coast. And Cindy told me the story of this particular picture. They know the photographer and he had to endure hiking in mud, floods, bad weather, all to get this coveted picture. Cindy had seen my post about a light house on Facebook also and when she saw this one she said she just knew  she had to have it for cousin Joe. So she had it framed and the inscription on the little plaque says. " In The Day Of Trouble He Will Set Me Upon A Rock" Psalms 27:5     Thank you Cindy and Tom

Two different lighthouses, two different stories but with the same message. "On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand, All Other Ground Is Sinking Sand" 
  by Edward Mote, 1797-1874










No comments:

Post a Comment