Friday, November 28, 2014

On To Pilot Knob

We usually come to Pilot Knob from California, but this time we caught the 8 at Gila Bend and headed for Yuma.  This was quite a climb and I loved the "rock mountains"
Good to see this sign again.  Don't know for how long we will be able to return here as all the Western Horizon Parks are for sale. But we will enjoy them as long as we can.

Our home for the next couple of weeks.Warm, breezy and dusty, and we're about 15 minutes from Yuma. We enjoyed walking through the Arizona Market today. Joe found some really nice short sleeve western shirts for $7.00 each all made in the US. 
The Salvation Army Christmas Bells started ringing today but this gentleman gave a  tuba concert instead of ringing the bell.  As we were walking from our parked car to the door of the Walmart store, we saw bills, not just coins being dropped in to his bucket. We stood and listened until he finished God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, then dropped our bills in also.

This little rest area is just outside the laundry room.
~~~~
We also enjoy going to the fairgrounds and sitting in the car and watching the planes take off and land across the street at the Marine Air Base.  Joe plays pool with the guys at 7:00PM most nights and pitches horseshoes in the afternoons. I enjoy walking early in the morning and again in the evening, working on my computer writing my blogs, knitting and crocheting and taking pictures.....lots of pictures. A week from Sunday we are going to drive to the  Imperial Wildlife Refuge  about 40 miles from here. Yes, we are going to meet up with Judy and take the tour she leads on Sunday mornings, then later in the afternoon we are going to do another tour, a 1.3 mile hike she suggested, but led by another volunteer.  More about that next week.



This nice dog and her owner stopped by for a hello. I'm doing better at being close to dogs especially when they're on a leash. This one only has three legs due to an accident but sure doesn't have a problem getting around.

The horseshoe pits are down by the Gazebo. I walked down to watch Joe pitch and took these pictures of the area while I was there. The firepit is for everyone to use, There are chairs and benches all around it and wood is provided.



Later we took a walk around the park and enjoyed another sunset.  Winterhaven is in California, but we are on Arizona time here at the park. Gets confusing sometimes. Hope we aren't late for church sunday :)

It took me about one night to figure out if I was going to sleep at night, I needed to put my ear plugs in. A few years ago in one of my blogs, I said how do I describe Pilot Knob? Three words.  Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. Interstate 8 runs right in front  of the park, the main East/West Railroad runs along side of that and the train whistles blow all night, and there are the jets from the Marine airbase and Yuma International Airport, oh, and there's the  helicopters looking for illegals trying to cross the border.
~~~~~~
Have a wonderful weekend.

5 comments:

  1. Love Pilot Knob Resort we were there a couple times last year right behind the fire pit gazebo. Love the area. We had booked in there Dec 5th for 2 weeks but have had to put the brakes on our travels for now. Gonna hangout Dallas area and hope for decent weather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, looks like a great park, we have driven by it several times, but I don't think I could do the planes, trains and automobiles. Enjoy your time there, the weather here in Arizona sure has been great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't realize you were in Winterhaven, so it will take a bit longer to get to the refuge than I thought. See you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I 8 is a very nice interstate. Especially if it's sunset or sunrise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My that sounds noisy, but you are all buttoned in for awhile... looks lovely there!!! have fun!!

    ReplyDelete