Friday, May 30, 2014

Buchart Gardens and Victoria

We picked up the sisters at their Condo (five minutes from us) at 6:00AM and headed for the border. Yay for us! No waiting in line at the border and no rain!  We were in luck again.... in the fact because we didn't have a wait at the border, and traffic being great, we were the last one on the 7:00 AM ferry instead of the 9:00 AM we had planned on.  The ferry ride from,Tsawwassen  BC to Victoria was an hour and a half. We had a nice breakfast on the ferry. French toast, scrambled eggs and sausage, bacon or ham.  We arrived at Butchart Gardens right after they opened.
I wasn't prepared for what I was about to see!! Grandeur and beauty.

At the end of our time in the gardens we all agreed that even though everything we saw was beautiful, the sunken gardens were our favorite.



This Rhody had a beautiful fragrance to it.

I'll ride a Merry-Go-Round any where I can find one.


We kept hearing the sound of a frog croaking.  And it was loud and often. I even asked one of the gardeners if it was one of those motion frogs some people hide for fun. He said no, and pointed out exactly where that little guy was!! he said earlier, there was another one on a lily pad but the kids must have scared him/her off.  

These flower beds and ponds, are on what was at one time, the Buchart Tennis Courts



After the gardens it was off to the Empress Hotel. 
No we didn't do the high tea, but I was on a mission there to find a certain kind of tea for son Rob. And find it we did!


British Columbia Parliament Buildings. We took a free, 45 minute tour of parts of this beautiful building. The tour guide was very knowledgeable and made the tour fun and interesting.

Joe was the photographer of the day, and sure enough he spotted the greyhound station (right across the street from the Empress.



The horse and buggy tours are very popular here. A pamphlet advertised them as $55 for a 15 minute ride......
Now I will close with a few pictures of some of the beauty we saw yesterday.








Will she or won't she.......





7 comments:

  1. Oh my, what a beautiful place. So glad you had nice weather. Had to smile at the photo of you on the merry-go-round!!

    But of course you will cross the suspension bridge - you're adventurous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that garden a dream! We visited it years ago and saw it in september/october splendour.
    I was raving afterwards. And of course Victoria. Beautiful Victoria. I am glad you got to visit this wonderful place in Canada. Like you on the marry-go-round! Suspension bridge- not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was breathtaking 39 years ago when I was last there and still is thanks for all the great pictures and brining back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't that the most beautiful place?? Mom & I were fortunate enough to go there a couple of times, once with my friend who now lives in Iowa. We stayed at the Empress and had the high tea, I think it was my 40th birthday.. It was such a grand trip! I also took that picture thru the hedge, think the same sail boat was there too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You two are so much fun. I always enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had a great time at Butchart Gardens and in Victoria.

    Nice pics!

    Rick’s Bits ‘n Bytes, Pics and News

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great trip. I love the picture of Joe smelling the Rhody and of you on the merry go round. You all sure did have fun. Did you run into Rick and Paulette???

    ReplyDelete