Thursday, April 17, 2014

Our week in Waikiki

We arrived in Oahu after a six hour flight. It was Monday before I really felt like my old self again, but that didn't stop us.  When we got to our hotel, we took off right away, walking all over Waikiki 
This is our hotel and our room is on the 27th floor. It isn't fancy, but very clean, has a kitchen with cupboards full of dishes, utensils, pots and pans, a rice cooker, microwave, full size stove, refrigerator and garbage disposal. 

One of the things I noticed, was weddings are not just held on weekends, but every day of the week. This bride and groom are being married in the Royal Hawaiian Hotel

There are lots of farmers markets here. On one of our tours, we learned they are so popular because most of the food has to be shipped to the islands and so being able to buy fresh fruits and vegetables from the locals is great. 

The night view from our room is as beautiful as it is during the day. We don't mind not having an ocean view because we are only two blocks from the beach. We see Diamond Head to the right , and the mountains right in front of us. Speaking of Diamond Head, I was disappointed I didn't get to climb it this time, but the virus I had, settled in my chest and it really hindered me. I saved my energy for the tours Joe planned. A couple of nights, I was so tired we would get home from a tour and I would go straight to bed to be rested for the tour the next morning.  

We took 1124 pictures this week so I tried very hard to just pick one or two from each day. This was a sunset dinner cruise on a huge catamaran. The meal was wonderful, the service was great and the Polynesian entertainment was wonderful. But I don't think I would do it again.  We aren't party people and after the entertainment it got pretty loud in there with the music and dancing. Oh, the end to the evening was a beautiful fireworks display.

Saturday we went to the Polynesian Cultural Center. The tour bus picked us up at 9:00AM and we didn't get back to the hotel until 10:30 PM. It was beautiful, informative and fun.

I learned that the center is owned by the Mormons, there is no liquor on the premises, it is closed on Sundays and a large portion of the employees are students at BYU. The campus is right there on the grounds.

We chose the Ambassador package so we had a guide for the day. There were 16 in our group.

That evening we enjoyed the Luau followed by an evening of Polynesian entertainment.

This was Joe's 3rd trip to Hawaii, my first.  He mentioned he would like to do the double decker shopping tour.  You don't have to shop but it is a wonderful way to see Honolulu and Waikiki. Unfortunately, Sunday it was a very windy, rainy day and we rode in the lower part of the bus. The fun part was, there was NO ONE else on the whole trip. We asked them to drop us off at the Big City Diner in Honolulu and then they picked us up at an appointed time and asked us if we needed to get anything at Walmart! Talk about service. They waited while we picked up a few things and took us back to our hotel.  

The yellow hibiscus is Hawaii's state flower and there are plenty of them here. But there are many other beautiful colors also

There are many statues here. I thought this one was really sweet.


We walked on this cement pier. We watched these kids for almost an hour. It was almost like a right of passage.  They would wait until a wave came and then jump!

This little gal was as good as the best of them! oops, I see Joe got his finger in the picture.  I really have appreciated him taking the pictures. I've taken a few but he did the majority of them.

So we had to laugh because these signs are posted all over..... no matter.

 This is Hanauma Bay. Joe has snorkeled there with his kids.

And the The Blow Hole

This is the view from the Crouching Lion Restaurant where we had lunch

Standing on the deck of the USS Missouri

Visiting the Arizona was a very moving experience for me.

We had some time to go through the USS Bowfin Submarine


This morning's sunrise

It was a beautiful day to tour Dole Pineapple Company

There were beautiful gardens there also. This is a rainbow Eucalyptus tree


I was so excited to get to see this sea turtle.  He was just laying there on the beach and didn't mind at all that 17 people wanted to have their pictures taken with him.

And last but certainly not the least, beautiful Chinaman's hat.  As I stood there, enjoying it's beauty, I was overwhelmed for a moment recalling all the beautiful moments I've had this week.  Our bags are packed, boarding passes printed and tomorrow, our shuttle will take us to the airport for our short jaunt to Kauai.  Thank you for putting up with this weeks recap. I realize it was way to long, but it was so hard to pick just one or two pictures representing each day of the week.



11 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tour. You almost make me want to go back ... almost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post isn't too long. It's wonderful. Hawaii is such a gorgeous state. Kauai is my favorite island. I'm really looking forward to your pictures. Glad you are feeling better but after all you did you should have been exhausted when you got back each night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed seeing all the pictures that you posted. You've had a busy week in the big city! I think you will enjoy the slower pace of Kauai.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not too long at all!! I enjoyed reading your experiences and seeing the pictures. What a wonderful trip for you and Joe and you both so deserve it. I hope you enjoy Kauai and don't get rained on haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow sure looks like you had a wonderful time, awesome pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful, fun filled trip...lovely pictures!!! Glad you got to feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved your post. So pleased that you are having a great time. What memories you are making.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of photos! Beautiful, beautiful. I see you are having a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for sharing a reminder of the wonderful trip we had there for our 30th wedding anniversary. . .would love to repeat the trip if it wasn't for that 8 hour flight!

    Enjoyed all your pics. . .we did the cruise, and toured all the islands, so I will enjoy all your pics from each place. . .

    How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was so much fun seeing your tour of Kauai and environs, knowing it's my dream to make it to Hawaii. It looks like you two had a great time. Thanks for sharing (and for praying for my goal).
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful pictures! I just went down memory lane from our own trip to Oahu. The blow hole didn't blow for us though. Turtle beach was amazing! I think I took 600 pictures of the 3 turtles we saw there. I missed the rainbow eucalyptus though...next time :)

    ReplyDelete