Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Our Bucket List for the Desert is empty............for now.

To those of you who said this is a cell tower you are correct.....but it is also a working water tower for Mission Lakes Water District
I love to be up before the sun rises.

This morning it turned the "tram" mountain a beautiful pink.
There is a cement wall behind our rig and until this morning I've never bothered to see what's on the other side.  Now I know.

Every morning the air is filled with beautiful bird songs. But they hide in the foliage of the trees and I can't see them. So this morning I got out my Nikkon, zoomed out as far as I could and after nine failures, I found him/her. Don't know which. If you click on the picture this beautiful sounding bird sure didn't look very happy.

We chose today to do the last thing on our bucket list that we wanted to do before we left for home. That was to visit The Living Desert  It was a perfect day. Overcast but not too hot. Joe took 301 pictures today. Why? Well for one thing, he loves trains and this place has a HUGE outdoor train display. 

This short video will give you an idea of the Train Layout
We noticed three large school buses in the parking lot and figured we would be "battling" kids inside. But that never happened it  appeared there were plenty of staff and chaperons. Most of the time it looked like there were two adults to four kiddos and they were all very well behaved.  I got such a kick out of these three little boys. Dad was the chaperon to two and daddy to one. They lined them up according to size before they put the on the camel. If you  notice, dad was doing his best to video the whole experience and keep every one on the camel. It made me laugh when they went by us. Must of tickled Joe to.... he took the picture.

There were many statues through out the park.

We were told by one of the volunteers today, that there will be a new baby giraffe any day now. We are looking forward to seeing that one we come back in the fall.


These are Ankole Cattle. The one on the left has horns that were pointing down instead of up and he walked with his head down and at an angle.  It doesn't seem to bother him though. He took that blue barrel in front of him and tossed it high up in the air. It is his toy.

We were sad to hear our favorite goat "Indy" died a couple of years ago.  If there is a goat heaven, Indy will surely be there!  He was born on the 4th of July thus getting his name. He loved to have his picture taken. He would climb up on some posts and pose for you.

Is a Zebra white with black stripes or black with white stripes?

This is the first time we have seen the Cheetah. They have a very large area to roam and in past years we never saw it.  Today was a treat. We saw two of the three that live there.

More of the large statues

I thought this was a royal looking fellow

And this one reminded me of a bird with a towel over its head cause maybe it was cold?

In past times we have seen these standing on the rocks

Please click on the picure and you will see three of the four just enjoying a rest.

I don't "do" rides......except this one. I'm still a kid at heart. I had to laugh. They made me wear the safety belt. The other thing that made me laugh, was I could hardly get my foot in the stirrups to get up on the Zebra.

The next few pictures are of trees and bushes we thought were so pretty.




If you paid $6.00 each, you could get a wrist band and ride that tram all day.  We enjoyed walking much more. The tram takes you to "stops", you hop off and see what you want to see and then get back on at the "stop" again.



6 comments:

  1. The Desert Museum looks like a lovely place. Lots to do there too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tour today, something for us to check out next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good way to end your bucket list! Now you just have to fill it up again. We went to the Living Desert when we were down there in 2007. I enjoyed it - well done and all the animals had plenty of room. Much better than that wild game park in Bandon!! Enjoyed your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we will just have to put the Desert Museum on our bucket list. Really neat and great photos!

    Hey, we are getting closer to you. I wonder if we will make it before you head north.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Betty and Joe:
    When are you leaving for home? I'm outs of Phoenix and will b here until Monday. I haven't solidified any plans after that, except that I need to be home before the 31st.
    Hope all is well with you two - it certainly looks as if it is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the great tour of The Living Desert, Betty and Joe!

    ReplyDelete