Monday, September 23, 2013

Saying Goodbye to a new Blogger Friend and Hello to New Jersey Tomatoes

After Joe got off work this evening, we drove over to Clackamette RV Park to say goodbye to Mary-Pat and Lacy. They are off on the next leg of their journey tomorrow and we wish them safe and happy travels. It's  nice that we are an electronic generation and can keep up with their travels via the Internet.

It seems all is well now with the smart car . We are meeting another blogger friend from Texas for dinner Wed. evening. Stay tuned for  pictures from that occasion.
This is my friend Nancy. I also met her via the Internet. She is one of  4 administrators on a group I follow. Over the past year, we have become very good friends. I feel like I've gained another  "daughter". One day, we were visiting via text and she asked me if I had ever tasted New Jersey Tomatoes.  I hadn't and wondered what was so different about them than tomatoes from any other state.

Today, this package arrived in the mail. If you guessed it was a box of tomatoes, you would be right. Grown in her garden, shipped to my house. I was so excited when the yellow card was in my P.O. box telling me I had a package, I told my friend who works at the PO counter, "Arlene, they are  tomatoes all the way from New Jersey. I don't know what makes them any different from Oregon tomatoes"  And a lady standing in line spoke up and said "I do, they're sweeter"!! She was from New Jersey and I think she was as excited about the New Jersey Tomatoes as I was. 

They arrived in perfect condition. wrapped in a grocery bag, and mini air bags all around the bag. She sent four ripe ones, two in the process of ripening and four green ones with instructions on making sure I just set them in the window sill until they were nice and red.  Sorry Nancy, I don't have window sills in my house, but they are sitting on the kitchen counter as close to the window as I can get them.

Joe pronounced the ripe ones "wonderful"! He's a North Dakota boy and I guess they like sugar on their tomatoes, but he said these were great with out sugar.

.

This was Joe's Supper

and this was mine, along with some sliced cucumbers and a protein drink. Soooo good. Thank you so much dear friend. I just wish you were closer so I could give you a ((((((((((hug))))))))))) but this will have to do.





10 comments:

  1. Have you had a tomato sandwich? Bread, of course, big, thick slice of tomato (s), onion, lettuce, spinach. Yum, Our daughter, Jojo introduced us to these yummers back in Calif.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sitting here with a permanent smile, you know how much the little things mean to me. Knowing I could do something to bring a smile to your day makes me so very happy. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim would eat those tomatoes as a sandwich with a little mayo and be the happiest person ever. He loves a good tomato. Maybe someday he'll get to try a New Jersey one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nummy on those tomatoes. That certainly was a nice thing to send them to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are in New Jersey and have to agree about the tomatoes. Best I've had since I had them out of my own backyard. I'm a sprinkle the tomato with sugar girl myself Joe! What a wonderful friend you have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We grow tons of tomatoes back in Ohio at our house. We love them.

    I am with Nan...love tomato sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM - beautiful, and I'm sure delicious tomatoes. My dad used to keep a salt shaker in the vegetable garden all summer long so he could enjoy a really fresh tomato whenever he stopped by! We also loved tomato sandwiches - two slices of homemade bread slathered in sweet butter, sliced tomatoes and salt and pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd be making a toasted tomato sandwich with mayo and lots of pepper. What a nice, thoughtful gift from your cyber-friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, those tomatoes sure look great,especially on that burger!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are the best on toast with real mayo and bacon and lettuce! Let me know when you're close to done so I can get another package together. Didn't know you didn't have windowsills, they just need some sunshine to speed up the ripening process. Just picked another huge basket full today!

    ReplyDelete