Monday, May 27, 2013

Are Doctors Getting Younger Or Am I Getting Older?

No pictures today. Just a thought or two. My primary care physician has referred me to a gastrointerologist to find out why my liver enzymes are elevated. He said it is not grossly so, but gets a little higher each three month period I go back for my routine blood work. His thought would be that being diabetic, over weight and high cholesterol fatty tissue in the liver is the cause, but he wants to be sure. But here is my thought.  The G.I.Dr. I have had for many years and his partner, both retired. After the doctors office called and set up my appointment for July 15th, I googled this new Dr. I'm suppose to see.  What a surprise. The gentleman is only 36 years old!! Good grief. My kids are older than that. So I called the office back. "Is there a Dr that is older than 36 in your office? The answer was no. She paused for a minute and said "Don't you think your previous Dr. "who shall not be named" was 36 once? Well when I think about it that way, I suppose so. So I will keep my appointment with this young Doctor. The older I get, the younger those doctors look. Hmmmmmmm

8 comments:

  1. I think it's both things Betty. Those doctors are getting younger and we are getting older. It does seem odd to me too to be going to a doctor that is my daughter's age. I always thought of doctors as older and wiser than I. I was disabused of the wiser idea when I worked in a medical center but I never quite got over the older father figure sort of image.
    I look at it this way, they really are a lot better trained now. There is so much more that has been discovered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's pretty bad when they look like high school kids but some of them most certainly do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHA...you crack me up Betty. I know exactly what you mean with the younger doctor. I just went back to the doctor that did my back surgery in 1991. He was just out of medical school. Even though it has been 22 years, he still looks like a kid to me. But he is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gee - Jim loves his heart doctor because she's young and good looking. Must be a man thing. And some of them do look about 12 years old but I figure they have brand new ideas about problems and maybe some good new solutions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had the same Doctor for over 20 years now so he's gotten older with me. I just hope he's gotten smarter too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean about the DR. Come to think of a lot of people look younger to me now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny... Al (The Bayfield Bunch) had something similar to say today. My rheumatologist retired last year and I was prepared to dislike his replacement - a young gal that could be my granddaughter (almost!). Turns out she is really smart, yet not pushy or condescending. Good luck with your tests.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember being younger than my kid's teachers and policemen. Seems like, yesterday. Now I could be great gramma to some of them. :)

    ReplyDelete