Friday, April 12, 2013

A Day Trip To Long Beach, Washington

I'd like to invite you to take a day trip with us to Long Beach, Washington. We'll be heading North on I-5 to Longview, then heading west on  Washington Highway 4  to Long Beach.
 



There were many logging trucks on the road today









I have never seen Willapa Bay this low. Today was a very low tide.
Kelly and Hoi and the kids limited out digging their clams early this morning before we got there.

We arrived in Long Beach at 10:30 AM and connected with Joe's daughter and husband, and the two grand kiddos at the Long Beach Bakery. If you are ever in Long Beach, and you have never tried the bakery.... it's a must. No problem how to find it. Just ask any of the locals. And there's no other bakery like it! I brought home a large loaf of my favorite, Black Rye.


 



Then it was a walk over to the park to exercise off some of those calories they just consumed at the bakery.



After a wonderful family time we had to say goodbye to them and head back to Portland. We drove South towards Seaside, with side trips into Astoria  and the Young's Bay area,Warrenton, and Gearhart so Joe could show us the old Greyhound routes back in the days when the buses still did local routes.


We had supper at Camp 18 Restaurant on highway 26

A warm fire greeted us inside

The very heavy doors into the restaurant

Playing a table game while waiting for my supper

This was Joe's Senior Roast beef.... if that was a small order he said he was sure glad he didn't order the regular.

And finally, This was a gift from my honey today. It has special meaning for us because we have traveled part of Route 66 and some day plan on  traveling the rest of it..... oh and special too because I'm Betty. Thank you for coming along with us today. I hope you enjoyed the trip as much as we did.

10 comments:

  1. What a fun trip!! I sure would love having a bakery in the family. Love Betty VoIP too. Hope you two get out on more of Route 66 soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great "Sunday Drive: any day of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love that area and actually is visit that bakery. Everything we bought was delicious.

    Great job with the photos. Looks like a wonderdful day of making memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice ride. I love the old barns and churches.
    That bakery sounds like the perfect spot to meet...

    Thanks for sharing your day and family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was one of the best tour blogs ever!! I almost felt like I was there. Russ used to go to Long Beach as a kid but I have never been there. I REALLY want to go - it looks delightful. Thank you for sharing....your photos were just great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tour, Betty! Thanks for sharing. I should hurry up to your house and get a nice sandwich on that black rye bread (my favorite)!!
    We're gonna have to check that bakery out for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks and sounds like a great time! Love the photos. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How in the world have I missed you all this time, BJ? I'll take a trip with you any day! Your pictures are great. I'm going back to look at more. I don't know about this Google stuff, any more. I couldn't get through to your blog until I surfed on the web. Evidently Google is not letting me choose blogs from blog rolls any longer. Well, this ended that...you're on my blog roll AND on Feedy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now you're in our neck of the woods! We'll be heading to Long Beach in a couple weeks for another real low tide. There's a great little RV park along Hiway 4 -- County Line. It's $10 a night and right on the river.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Betty! I love your pictures! Kevin and I were married in Cathlamet, so it's a very special place to us. We also love The Cottage Bakery, my friends Bob and Judy own it, great food there! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete