Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A week of fun with my sister

 

The weekend of August 12th Joe and I went to Bonney Lake, WA for the weekend. It was Joe's birthday and his son took him to the LeMay Car Museum in Tacoma.
The LeMay Auto Museum is directly across the street from the Tacoma Dome
While the guys were at the auto Museum, My sister, and sister in law and I spent the day at Northwest Trek near Eatonville, Washington.
We ride in trams.......the animals roam free

 
Joe had to work Monday, Tuesday and Wed. So Jan and I took advantage of  "sister" time to do some fun things in the area. We hopped on the Oregon City Trolley for another historical tour of the city. After that we enjoyed time at the Interpretive Center/Museum.

The next day was a fun day of shopping. I have never seen so many shoes, so many colors.

 
 
 
 
 
Wednesday morning, we went exploring.  I had been wanting to check out a walking trail near where we live.  What a delightful surprise.  The trail was built on what use to be the old Portland Trolley line.  There is a very nice parking lot, a beautiful little park with a bridge, covered picnic area, play grounds for the gr. grand kiddos, not to mention a paved trail with wetlands, marshes, birds, etc. Luv, Luv, Luv it.

In the afternoon, we went to the Clackamas County Fair in Canby, about 20 minutes from our house . IT WAS SO "STINKIN" HOT!!! In the mid 90's  So we only stayed a couple of hours. When Joe got off work, it was cooler, and we went back and enjoyed an evening of rodeo.  Pretty good for a small county fair.

Thursday we went back to Haag Lake for another picnic.  We found a secluded area at the other end of the lake with a gentle flowing creek, big flat rocks, picnic tables.... huge shade trees, just perfect for another very warm day.
 

Friday was a BIG day.  We visited all four visitor centers along Highway 504 to Mt. St. Helens with Johnston Ridge being the final stop.

Mr. G was our chauffeur/tour guide for the day.

While at Johnston Ridge, we went into the theater and saw two videos. One on the eruption of Mt. St. Helens and the other on the return of plant and animal life to the mountain. When the films were over, slowly, the beautiful red drapes that covered the whole front of the theater rose to reveal this beautiful view of the mountain, just outside the windows.  It was a spectacular end to a beautiful day.


On the way down from the mountain we stopped at Patty's Place for supper.  I had one of the best hamburgers I've ever eaten.  For desert, Joe and I shared a peach/rasberry cobbler ala mode.  Mmmmm so good.

Yes, this is me.  We decided to take a hike Saturday to Tamanawas Falls.  The trail wasn't in the best shape and neither was I!  I haven't done much walking since my mom died, and it really told on me during this hike.


The scenery was beautiful along the way.


Well worth the effort. But we only went a half mile.  It was two miles to the falls.  So now that I am back on track for walking , the next time Jan comes to see us, I promised her we would make it all the way to the falls.  I can do this. :)
 

4 comments:

  1. You've got some great pictures of you and your sister. It sounds like you had a wonderful time together. I never had a sister but sure always wished I had.

    Glad to see you out walking in those beautiful areas. And love that first car picture. What a fun car that would be to own. But not as a toad of course. :-) Too precious for a toad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys really got a lot of stuff seen in a very short time. But I don't see you modeling any of those heels. Hard to believe there may have been a time when I would have worn them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Betty. I need to get the locations of those trails from you. They look great. Great picture of Joe. Peach pie is my favorite so that raspberry peach cobbler sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You two are having a wonderful time!
    You didn't show us all the shoes you bought. I met you look great in those 6" stiletto heels...hehe

    ReplyDelete